Welcome to the Regal Fritillary Butterfly Tours at Fort Indiantown Gap!
Wildlife staff will provide guided tours of grassland habitat found at Fort Indiantown Gap (FIG), home to the only remaining population of the eastern regal fritillary butterfly. Staff will highlight a variety of animals and plants found at FIG and how the military presence on the base is vital to the persistence of these species and their ecosystems.
Dates: June 30th, July 1st, July 7th and July 8th 2023
Departure times will vary by day. Available times listed on the permits.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED! Acquire your ONE FREE PERMIT through a two-step process. (You will not be permitted to attend a tour without registration and a permit for that specific day and time.)
1. ALL participants (including babies and children), must FIRST REGISTER with iSportsman (You do not need to re-register if you have already created an account with iSportsman. If you have previously registered and have forgotten your password, use the “Forgot Password” function at log in.)
2. "Purchase" ONE FREE permit (permits will only be visable after you complete your validation/watch the safety brief video)
- 13 years and older= regular permit
- 12 years and younger= youth permit
EACH PERSON IS ALLOWED ONE PERMIT!
- Meeting location and parking information will be emailed to permit holders by June 23rd.
- The tours will be held rain or shine. No rain dates will be held.
- When you arrive, please park and remain in your vehicle. FIG staff will come to your vehicle to check you in.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled tour. Tours will depart promptly at the scheduled time.
- Attendees will caravan/convoy to the grassland habitat in their PERSONAL VEHICLES, guided by FIG vehicles.
- The tour will be BY FOOT over mowed (grassland) trails and gravel roads.
- The tour route has little to no shade.
- Tours will last approximately 1 hour, PLUS driving time to and from the site.
- Tour groups must stay with their guides and be escorted back to the meeting location to check out when the tour is complete.
- Portable toilets will be available; modern restroom facilities will not be.
What should I wear and bring?
- Required: Drinking water, your permit and registration information for checking in and out
- Recommended: Sunscreen, appropriate footwear and clothing, hat, sunglasses, bug spray